Sunday, November 18, 2007

Great Grandma Hoxie (Stone)

Grandpa's surname comes from his stepdad, Bart 'Doc' Hoxie. His real birthname was Stone, he later changed it for reasons I will explain in a later post. The Hoxies moved to Oklahoma from Virginia around 1878. They lived in a small cabin on Kingfish Creek between Kingfisher and Guthrie, Oklahoma. Doc was a veterinarian, having attended veterinarian's school in Virginia. Doc Hoxie's demise was told by Bonnie Hoxie, grandpa's sister-in-law, "Matilda and the youngest of her four boys (the other three were in school) had walked the short distance to the town of Kingfisher to buy a few necessities. While they were gone, Doc attempted to treat a cut foot of a 'not-too-well-broke' Morgan stallion. When they came home, Matilda went to the corrals to look for her husband. She found him half outside and under the fence, beyond all earthly aid. The stallion's kick had nearly decapitated Doc. He died instantly" -- The Hoxie Boys by Edgar M. Wyatt, 1992. After Hoxie's death, widow Matilda moved her five children near Nez Perce lands in Idaho where she met and married a hog rancher named Scott Stone. My Grandpa, Al, was born to Matilda and Scott Stone, October 1, 1901.

3 comments:

McGuireAustin said...

Hello Donna -

Would you please contact me? i do not know how to contact you. I really, really want to talk with you about the Hoxie boys.

Thanks,
T. McGuire

Unknown said...

I am Jack Christopher Hoxie. My dad was also Jack Hoxie. His sisters name is Donna. I'm wondering who you folks are. My dad was raised in Pendelton, OR. His sister Donna was living in Idaho last I heard. I never saw much of my dad's side of the family. Call me at 541 606 4879 if you can. Thank you

Chris said...

Dear Donna,
I hope you are still out there. I've been researching Hart Hoxie for a biography I'm writing for a co-star when he worked as a cowboy for Bison Film Co in 1911. There seems to be a lot of mystery surrounding the Hoxie name, which is understandable, given that Madeline's second husband Calvin Scott Stone used the alias "Doc Hoxie" to apply for more than one homestead. I have newspaper records that show the case against "Doc Hoxie" who is definitely not the same person as Joseph M. Hoxie, her first husband. Hart Hoxie appears on census records as John F. Stone and cannot be Joseph's son as they separated before he was born. Joseph M. Hoxie was not a veternarian, he was a physican who died in the same town, Hollenberg, Kansas, where Calvin parents lived! I have much more if you'd like to chat.
Sincerely,
Chris